Salo Art Museum Roundhouse
Mariankatu 14, 24240 Salo
Tel. +358 (0)2 778 4892
veturitalli@salo.fi

Public sculptures

The sculptures and monuments of Salo

There are a number of outdoor sculptures, reliefs and monuments in Salo that are worth exploring. The oldest public monument in the city is the memorial plaque for the fire of Salo unveiled in 1937. Salo has three works of Ben Renvall (1903-1979), of which the most known is the bronze sculpture representing the blacksmith Lauri, the first resident of Salo.

The outdoor sculptures of parks and public buildings have significantly increased since the 1970s. Salo´s map service offers a summary of the locations of the sculptures and monuments.

Sculptures

Berg, Hans-Christian: The illusion of Form
Blomstedt, Aulis: War Graveyard
Helenius, Simo: Moose Sculpture
Hutri, Armas: The Fetterer
Jung, Bertel: War Grave of the Civil War
Jylhä, Pekka: Joy
Kiviranta, Sirkka: Coastal Railway Memorial
Komu, Väinö: Little Hedgehog and On Guard
Kuusikoski, Taina: Thread of Life light installation
Liimatainen, Kirsti: Monument for the Deceased in Karelia
Lilius, Muddle: Water Dragon
Maasalo, Antti: Salohalli kinetic light artwork
Manninen, Seppo: The Flame of Liberty
Nummelin, Matti: Prelude
Nummelin, Matti: Relay Runners
Peltokangas, Matti: Armfelt
Renvall, Ben: Marjatta
Renvall, Ben: The Spirit of Radio
Renvall, Ben: Lauri the Blacksmith
Roth, Jarkko: A Memorial for Fjalar Nordell
Roth, Jarkko: The Power of Knowledge
Saifulin, Rafael: Bird
Saifulin, Rafael: Happiness

Monuments, memorial markers, plaques

Anchor Memorial and Cannons
Anchor in Krouvi Park
Civil Guard of Halikko and Lotta Svärd Memorial
Chicken Steam Locomotive
Lotta Air Surveillance Memorial
Anti-aircraft Gun
Johannes Linnankoski Plaque
Järvinen Family War Heroes Memorial Plaque
Monument to the Knights of the Mannerheim Cross
Construction Will Never End
Salo Fire Memorial Plaque
Plaque for the Civil Guard Building of Salo-Uskela, and Memorial Plaque of Scouts and Little Lottas
Moved Cornerstone
Tammidivisioona Memorial Stone
Topuli Memorial Stone

The Illusion of Form
Hans-Christian Berg

The sculpture The Illusion of Form by the sculptor Hans-Christian Berg was unveiled in front of the Salo High School on 10/6/2006. The sculpture is an acquisition of Percent for Art. At the intersection of Kiskontie and Perniöntie, it delights high school students and other residents of the city.

The shape of the sculpture is round with a diameter of 3m, and it is made of steel. The work is made of about 3,000 pieces in the shape of ones and zeros. The work seeks to give visible form to the rhythmic dance of bits and metaphysical elements in a spherical cosmic shape, where all energy is seeking to go. The sculpture is in constant interaction with changing angles and the strength of the light falling on it. According to the time of day, the nature of the work changes from a closed form into an etheric cloud of signs swimming in light.
Show on map

muodon_illuusio.jpg

The Graveyard
Aulis Blomstedt

The Uskela churchyard has several monuments. The area of the war graveyard was designed by the professor and architect Aulis Blomstedt (1906-1979). It was consecrated in 1953. On the lower part of the 1440s belfry from the chapel of St. Anne, there is erected a bronze cross, the Thread of Life Vine.

Aulis Blomstedt worked as a professor of architecture at the University of Technology in 1958-1966. He was one of the key influences in Finland´s post-war architecture. As an internationally acclaimed theorist, he primarily studied the system of proportions and measurements in architecture.

Inside the bell tower is a bronze bell designed by the sculptor Sakari Tohka (1911-1958) with a relief of Goethe´s Faust verses: Yksin jää et kussa lietkin / sillä sinut tuntenemme / käymään tummat tuonen tietkin / sua saattaa sydämemme. Sakari Tohka studied at the Central School of Arts and Crafts in 1931 and continued his studies at the drawing school of the Finnish Art Society in 1932-34. He was a founding member of the so-called opposition-minded October Group and a member of the Finnish Artists Union. The hero statue in Mänttä is also designed by Tohka.
Show on map

pronssinen_kellotapuli_sankarihautaalueella.jpg

Moose sculpture
Simo Helenius

In 1995, Simo Helenius´ Moose Sculpture was unveiled in Sibelius Park. The sculpture was acquired as a bequeathal by Sulo Rissanen, who lived nearby on Mököistenkatu. The donor ordered a sculpture representing a moose to be placed in Sibelius Park.

Helenius´ (1942-) sculptures can be seen, for example, on the streets of Turku: Curious (1973), Cat-Kallu (1989) and Busy Bookworms (1975). Simo Helenius was a founding member of the Turku Arte Association and he is a member of the Finnish Sculptors Association.
Show on map

hirviveistos.jpg

The Fetterer
Armas Hutri

The Fetterer (1983) by the sculptor Armas Hutri (b. 1922) was unveiled in the station park of Salo in May 2004. The bronze and granite sculpture is a metaphor for the cycle of life and regeneration. The grey granite refers to nature and the bronze mantle that covers it reflects the fettering power of nature. Armas Hutri´s other public sculptures include, for example, the Finnish Immigrants Memorial (1976) in Thunder Bay, Canada and the Burning Bush (1989) grave monument for Ella Eronen in Helsinki.
Show on map

kahlehtija.jpg

War Grave of the Civil War
Bertel Jung

In the Uskela churchyard is the War Grave of the Civil War, made of gray granite, designed by the architect Bertel Jung. The monument was unveiled in 1920.
Show on map

vuoden_1918_sodanmuistomerkki.jpg

Joy
Pekka Jylhä

At the time of the completion of the renovation and expansion of the Salo city swimming hall, Pekka Jylhä´s (b. 1955) colorful 5m beachball-themed sculpture Joy was unveiled on 5/30/2007. The painted stainless steel piece was fabricated at Halikko Works. The Halikko workers had previously collaborated with Pekka Jylhä. Part of President Urho Kekkonen´s memorial was made in Halikko.

The sculpture for the indoor swimming hall serves as a landmark and mascot with a positive and joyful spirit.
Show on map

Ilo.JPG

Coastal Railway Memorial
Sirkka Kiviranta

The railway has had great importance for the development of Salo´s township and city. On the 1st of November in 1899, the railway between Turku and Karjaa was opened. Concurrent with the building of the railway, the roundhouse that today hosts the city´s Art Museum was constructed. The continuing track from Karjaa to Helsinki was opened in 1903.

In honor of the renovation of the coastal railway, the monument designed by Sirkka Kiviranta (1941-) was erected in Horni Park in 1995. The monument of the coastal track was built out of stones from railway bridges demolished in 1993.

Sirkka Kiviranta, a member of the Salo Art Society, was born in Kajaani in 1941. In addition to the Turku Art Society´s drawing school, she has studied at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts and in Florence at the Scuola Lorenzo de´ Medici. Her fountain monument is found on the church hill in Viiala .
Show on map

rantaradan_muistomerkki.jpg

Little Hedgehog and On Guard
Väinö Komu

The sculptor Väinö Komu´s bronze hedgehogs On Guard (1991) and Little Hedgehog (1988) were acquired for the Sirkkula schoolyard in accordance with the city of Salo´s percent principle when the school expanded in 2005. The hedgehogs were installed in the spring of 2006.

Väinö Komu (b. 1928) is a sculptor from Lahti whose production is characterized by a warm relationship with humans and animals. He describes the simple pleasures and delights of human life, as well as those of animals in the yard, such as cats, squirrels and hedgehogs .
Show on map

pikku siilit.jpg

Thread of Life light installation
Taina Kuusikoski

Since 2000, Taina Kuusikoski´s Thread of Life light installation has decorated the wall of the Pirita art space in Salo College (Hämeentie 34). By day, the work is a decorative vine intertwined with nature´s light and shadow, but in the dark the spiraling vine on the wall seems like another work.
Show on map

elamanlanka.gif

Monument of Deceased in Karelia
Kirsti Liimatainen

Through the initiative of the Karelia Union, in the early 1950s monuments began to be erected for those left behind in Karelia. In 1953, the Salon Seudun Karjalaiset association applied for permission from Salo-Uskela parish to raise such a monument near the Uskela church. The designer of the War Graves Area, Aulis Blomstedt (1906-1979), suggested the monument´s location. The Karelia Union had requested several sculptural suggestions from a pair of artists. Kirsti Liimatainen´s Sketch No. 3 was selected for Salo. Kirsti Liimatainen´s Monuments for the Deceased in Karelia, designed in the 1950s, are also located in Imatra, Kauhajoki and Jämsä. The monument in Salo was unveiled in 1954.
Show on map

karjalaan_jaaneiden_muistomerkki.jpg

Water Dragon
Muddle Lilius

Water Dragon, which is based on the fairy tale written and illustrated by Muddle Lilius from Hanko, is located in the courtyard of the Anisten daycare center of Salo.

The serpentine climbing sculpture is made of a Finnish type of rock known as Kuru Black. The work was executed in collaboration with Kristian Kober, who made the blueprint with Lilius, and the stone carver Heikki Räsänen from Pori. The Water Dragon at Anisten daycare is a replica of the sculpture on Vuorikatu in Hanko, which was completed in 1999. The sculpture was acquired during the renovation and expansion of the daycare in 2009 .
Show on map

vesilohikaarme.jpg

Salohalli kinetic light work
Antti Maasalo

Antti Maasalo´s kinetic light artwork is on the ceiling of the entrance of the Salohalli (Urheilupuisto 9), which was completed in 1998. The work, which is moved by wind power, symbolizes the many possibilities for indoor sport. The work is illuminated by colored lights that shine brightly at night. The contest for the name of the work was won by the proposal Moving - Playing - Living. Antti Maasalo (1940-) belongs to the Dimension and Non Art groups. Antti Maasalo is also known as a designer of children´s play sculptures.
Show on map

liikkuen_leikkien_elaen.gif

The Flame of Liberty
Seppo Manninen

In honor of 75 years of independence for Finland, a monument honoring the contributions of the wartime generations was revealed in Sibelius Park. The park is located by Raatihuoneenkatu between Rummunlyöjänkatu and Perniöntie. The Arc of Time and The Flame of Independence together form the memorial monument of The Flame of Liberty, which depicts the passing of history of an independent Finland. The Arc of Time, which describes the history of our country from the early 1900s to the present day, rises from the ground, sometimes with force but at times also breaking. Ten meters in length, The Arc of Time is carved out of red granite from Mäntsälä. The Flame of Independence symbolizes the strength, power and determination that was required to gain and maintain independence. The flame is made of polished stainless steel. The project was realized through donations, fundraising and the financial assistance of the city.

The sculptor Seppo Manninen was born in 1937. In his sculptures, he integrates different materials such as wood, cloth and metal. On the wall of the lobby of Salo´s new University of Applied Sciences is Seppo Manninen sculpture called Blue Thoughts. His other works include Crescendo in Turku´s concert hall, Water of Life in Somero´s central parish hall, and The Stairs of Knowledge in the school of Kiiru in Somero. Manninen is a member of the Finnish Sculptors Union and the Dimension group .
Show on map

vapauden_liekki.gif

Prelude
Matti Nummelin

The relief Prelude made by the artist Matti Nummelin (1927-) of Halikko was attached to the wall of Salo´s Business School, which is currently the Keskusta school (Kavilankatu 1), when the building was completed in 1977. Nummelin was inspired at the Savonlinna Opera Festival by the prelude of Richard Wagner´s opera The Master Singers of Nuremberg. The piece is constructed of stainless steel and it is lit from below by beams of light that illuminate the work at night. Matti Nummelin´s sculpture Relay Runners of 1975 can be found on the wall of Salo´s Sports Hall (Perniöntie 7).
Show on map

alkusoitto2.jpg

Relay Runners
Matti Nummelin

Matti Nummelin´s relief Relay Runners (1975) is on the wall of the Sports Hall (Perniöntie 7) that was commissioned by Salo´s Viesti. Relay Runners is Nummelin´s first oeuvre made by means of welding. Students of Salo´s vocational school helped the artist in the welding of Relay Runners, as well as a larger Ode to Life relief now in Savonlinna´s nursing school. Outside of the theater in Uusikaupunki is found Nummelin´s bronze Bow. Matti Nummelin studied at the Turku drawing school in 1948-1950 and he is a member of the Salo artists association.
Show on map

viestinvaihtajat.jpg

Armfelt
Matti Peltokangas

A sculpture representing Gustaf Mauritz Armfelt made by the sculptor Matti Peltokangas (b. 1952) was unveiled on August 13, 2010. The sculpture, which was located in the yard of the Halikko library, was donated to the city of Salo at the same time. The sculpture was executed as a collaboration of multiple participants: Joensuun kartano/Åminne Gods, Nokia Oyj, Sampo Oyj, TS-Yhtymä Oy, the city of Salo, Salo´s Osuuspankki, SSP-Yhtiöt Oy, Stiftelsen för Åbo Akademi and the Suur-Seudun Osuuskauppa.

G. M. Armfelt (1757-1814) is without question one of the most remarkable persons in the history of our country. He had a unique opportunity to work closely with two political elites: the first in the 1780s and beginning of the 1790s as a favorite of the Swedish King Gustav III, and in the early 1810s as a close advisor of the Russian Emperor Alexander I. His estate was Åminne´s (Joensuu´s) manor. G. M. Armfelt is buried in the church of Halikko .
Show on map

armfelt.gif

Marjatta
Ben Renvall

Ben Renvall´s Marjatta statue is located near the entrance of Uskela church. The statue was donated by Ben Renvall´s mother. Renvall made the Kalevala-themed Marjatta in the 1930s. He continued to work on Kalevala themes for a long time. Amongst the sculptures in Salo, the sculpture Lauri the Blacksmith was also done by Ben Renvall.
Show on map

Marjatta.JPG

The Spirit of Radio
Ben Renvall

A new commercial building was built at Turuntie 8 in 1955. The following year, above the entrance was unveiled the first relief to be visible in Salo´s street scene, Ben Renvall´s The Spirit of Radio. On the lot was Kirstilä House, where Salora radios were made in 1929-52. Salora´s radio production was subsequently moved to a new factory building on Annankatu, but the administration remained on Turuntie.

Ben Renvall was born in 1903 in Suomusjärvi and died in 1979 in Helsinki. Renvall was first married to the sculptor Essi Renvall (1911-1979), and then married the painter Pirkko Lantto (1926-2008). Living in Askola is the sculptor Tuomas Renvall, Ben Renvall´s son.

Ben Renvall studied at the Finnish Art Society drawing school under the tutelage of Viktor Malmberg (1927-1932) and he worked in the atelier of the sculptor Wäinö Aaltonen in the 1930s. Renvall worked on folk themes, whereas Aaltonen favored monumental proportions and classic themes. During that era, Renvall´s wood and clay sculptures were overflowing, cheerful and humorous. During the following decade, he mostly sculpted nude models and plaster portraits.

Renvall inspired Finnish sculptors to become interested in intimate topics, modest scale and the graphic possibilities of creating a surface. A mastery of casting technique and human figures were important in sculpture in the 1940s. Ben Renvall was a sculpture instructor at the Finnish Academy of Art in 1941-53 .
Show on map

radionhengetar.gif

Lauri the Blacksmith
Ben Renvall

On a small mound on the riverfront at the end of Vilhonkatu is Ben Renvall´s bronze sculpture Lauri the Blacksmith. The sculpture is from the year 1963. According to lore, a blacksmith named Lauri was the first known resident of Salo. When the township became a city in 1960, a statue project in honor of the blacksmith was launched. The expenses were covered by donations and funds of the newly established city.
Show on map

seppa.jpg

A Memorial for Fjalar Nordell
Jarkko Roth

In 1928, Fjalar Nordell and Lauri Koskinen founded Nordell & Koskinen, a company that sold cars and manufactured and sold radios. The name of the Salora-receiver became the name of the company in the 1940s. After television, the company´s most popular products were walkie-talkies. The consumer electronics manufacturer Nokia continues Salora´s tradition of electronics. Nordell was born in 1903 in Eurajoki, moved to Halikko in 1910 and died in 1976.

In 1994, the former employees of Salora formed a local committee whose task was to erect a monument to Fjalar Nordell. So many donations were received from Salo businesses, foundations and individuals that there was even money left over. The work was commissioned of the sculptor Jarkko Roth. Made of the red granite of Taivassalo, the monument is situated in a ten-meter circle of granite rubble. Weighing 24,000 kg , the memorial stone features Fjalar Nordelli´s profile, which is directed towards his industrial buildings. Fjalar Nordelli´s monument was unveiled on 7/24/1996 in St. Anthony Park, twenty years after his death.

Jarkko Roth (1943-), who studied at the Turku drawing school, is a native of the region of Vehmaa stone. He himself sculpts works from stone. On the shore of the Aura River in Turku is found his work Protected Development (1985). Roth belongs to the Sculptors Association of Finland .
Show on map

fjalar_nordellin_muistopatsas.jpg

The Power of Knowledge
Jarkko Roth

In 1998, Jarkko Roth´s sculpture The Power of Knowledge was erected in the courtyard of the City Library (Vilhonkatu 2). Jarkko Roth himself did not want to name the work, but instead wanted suggestions from users of the library. The stone sculptures interested people, and many proposals were made to the library. From among these, the library director Hilkka Orava chose six names that were voted on by the public. The Power of Knowledge ended up as the winner. The sculptor was also satisfied with the new name, which refers to Aleksis Kivi´s Seven Brothers, where having a strong will takes a man even through gray stone. The sculpture in front of the library reflects how knowledge makes life richer. The three stones of The Power of Knowledge are placed on gray granite columns. The vertical black stone is diorite and the red one is granite. The white block is limestone.
Show on map

tiedonvoima.jpg

Bird
Rafael Saifulin

In Kisko Park in Toija can be found the sculptor Rafael Saifulin´s sculpture, a 4.5 meter human figure that holds in its hands a bird with spread wings. The sculpture was finished in 2009, and it is made of iron and stainless steel. Earlier in Kisko Park was located Saifulin´s sculpture Girl and Swans, which for the sake of preservation needed to be moved indoors. Rafael Saifulin lives and works in Kisko. His public sculptures can be seen, for example, in Hanko (Wind from the Sea, 2005) and Turku (Lucky Horse, 2005).
Show on map

Saifulin.JPG

Onni
Rafael Saifulin

Rafael Saifulin´s sculpture Onni - Happiness (2006) was donated to the city of Salo 2017. The donator Jukka Helkama wanted to donate the sculpture on Finland´s centenary celebration year. The sculpture in placed in front of the city hall.
Show on map

Saifulinin_Onni.jpg

Anchor Memorial and Cannons

In Horn Park next to the main square of Salo there is a site for rare marine archaeological items. In 1982, an old anchor and cannons were found in the waters south of Hiittinen on the floor of the sea. They are originally from an unknown Russian warship. It is known that it was a so-called three-deck ship of the line with five anchors and dozens of cannons.

The anchor in the park is Finland´s largest wooden log anchor monument, aside from one that is the same size in Ådskär. The foundry masters Peter and Jacob cast Salo´s anchor in the late 1700s at the Izhorsk factory in a suburb of St. Petersburg. It was brought to Horni Park in 1986, after the Simppu Diving Society of Salo lifted it from the bed of the sea.

The cannons are engraved with the year 1808, which refers to the War of Finland. They were fabricated in the factory of Alexandrovich under the guidance of the master B. The beds of the cannons were made at the same time on the basis of drawings. The mouths of cannons are plugged with balls that are colored to depict St. Andrew´s cross, which was then the motif of the Russian flag of war. It is likely that the cannons ended up on the floor of the sea after the ship ran aground and they were thrown overboard in order to lighten the ship. The Simppu Diving Society lifted them to the surface, and in 1990 they were brought to Horn Park .
Show on map

merimuistomerkki_tykki2.jpg

Anchor in Krouvi Park

In 2010, in Salo´s Krouvi Park there was placed a wooden log anchor that is originally from the Norwegian barque named Mizpa. Made out of wood, Mizpa was built in 1891 in Arendal, and its home port was Risor in Norway. The ship had 564 gross tonnage , length of 146 feet and a width of 34 feet. Mizpa was shipwrecked in an autumn storm on 10/31/1911 in the vicinity of Morgonlandet in the Hiittinen archipelago. All 14 members of the crew perished in the shipwreck.

Divers from the Simppu Diving Society searched for the wreck of the ship in the spring of 1991. The hull was not found, and it was suspected of having been split apart in the ice and spread over a wide area. However, the ship´s anchor was found, and it was owned by Jorma H. Nieminen until he donated it to the city of Salo in 2010.
Show on map

krouvin.jpg

Civil Guard of Halikko and Lotta Svärd Memorial

The Civil Guard of Halikko and Lotta Svärd Memorial was unveiled on 12/6/1997. The Salo´s Heritage Society of Freedom and Independence was responsible for erecting the monument. On the plaque is the following text: "The Civil Guard of Halikko and the Lotta Svärd Departments worked in this place in 1918-1944." At the base of the granite stone is an engraving "Home Religion Fatherland". The bronze memorial plaque is found behind Paukkulakoti (Salaistentie 1) on a small wooded hill. The Civil Guard building, with a shooting range next to it, was built in 1928 and destroyed in a fire in 1942. The building site previously belonged to the municipality of Halikko, but due to annexation it became part of the city of Salo in 1932. The borders of Salo changed again in 2009, when ten municipalities were joined together.
Show on map

halikon_suojeluskunta_ja_lotta_svard_muistomerkki.jpg

Chicken Steam Locomotive

In the turntable of the courtyard of the Veturitalli Art Museum of the city of Salo (Mariankatu 14), there is a steam locomotive manufactured by Tampella in 1921. It is one of the smallest steam locomotives to have used the state railway. This type of locomotive was nicknamed "Chicken" due to in its peculiar "pecking" style of movement.

The "Chicken" in the yard of the Veturitalli operated in Lahti, Kotka and Kouvola until 1970, when it was removed from circulation. In 1986, the locomotive was relocated from the train yard of Lievestuore to the locomotive park of Haapamäki. The members of the Association of Museum Locomotives restored it to its present condition. The "Chicken" was brought in 1998 to the turntable of Veturitalli. On this kind of turntable the locomotives were directed to the different stalls of the depot. This turntable has a diameter of 13.7 meters and it was turned by hand, like most of the turntables in Finland .
Show on map

kanavenkipoydalla.jpg

Lotta Air Surveillance Memorial

A monument was erected on the place of the air surveillance tower in Pahkavuori Park in order to honor the work of the air surveillance activities of the Lottas. The tower was 14 meters tall and open, where air-surveillance Lottas scanned the skies day and night throughout the whole of the Continuation War in 1941-44. The tower was torn down in 1947. The tower of Uskela church functioned for air surveillance during the Winter War. A memorial plaque was designed by the architect Lauri Hollmén and the monument was put up by the Lotta Heritage Association of the Salo area in 2004.
Show on map

ilmavalvonta.jpg

Anti-aircraft Gun

During the Winter War, the Defense Forces could not spare air defense equipment, even though Salo was being bombed because of its production of military equipment and its railway bridge. Therefore, Salo decided to actually obtain anti-aircraft equipment. With funding from local businesses and private persons, two 40 ItK B anti-aircraft guns (Bofors) were purchased for Salo. The guns were manufactured by Valtion Tykkitehdas. The guns were brought into use at the beginning of the Continuation War.

The gun that is exhibited is one of the guns bought by the citizens. It is now situated close to its wartime station. Through private donations, i t was possible to acquire it back to Salo. The gun was unveiled on 6/16/2001, on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the founding of Salo´s aerial defense company, and its badge was 71 Kev.It.jaos. The city built a protective cover for the gun. This monument was raised to honor the generation whose many sacrifices guarded our freedom.
Show on map

tykkikatos_salossa.jpg

Johannes Linnankoski Plaque

In front of Ahtela cottage on Vuohensaari lies the plaque of Johannes Linnankoski. On the plaque is written: "In the cottage at this place lived the author Johannes Linnankoski in the summers of 1903-1906."
Show on map

Back to top

Järvinen Family War Heroes Memorial Plaque

On Independence Day 1977, a bronze memorial plaque was unveiled at Rummunlyöjänkatu 15 on the initiative of the Salon Seudun Reserviupseerit. It was dedicated to the memory of the three sons and two sons-in-law who lived in the building and died during the war years in 1939-1944.
Show on map

sodissa_kaatuneiden_muistoksi.jpg

Monument to the Knights of the Mannerheim Cross

The monument to the Knights of the Mannerheim Cross, which is located in Sibelius Park in Salo, was unveiled on June 7, 2014. The keynote speaker was President Sauli Niinistö. The monument represents a tribute to Flight Officer Urho Lehtovaara, Colonel Hans Olof von Essen, and Corporal Eino Laisi of Salo. On the plaque attached to the stone, the text reads: THE KNIGHTS OF THE MANNERHEIM CROSS IN SALO Colonel HANS OLOF von ESSEN Knight No. 30 1900-1973 / Corporal EINO LAISI Knight No. 115 1908-1986 / Flight Officer Urho Lehtovaara Knight No. 142 1917-1949.
Show on map

muistomerkki.jpg

Construction Will Never End

In front of the construction department of the professional school of Salo (Mariankatu 20), a sculpture called Construction Will Never End was unveiled in 2000. The sculpture was made through a collaboration between the institution´s own construction department and its students and teachers.
Show on map

Salo Fire Memorial Plaque

By the declaration of Emperor Alexander III in 1887, Salo became a township. The monument by the walking bridge in the town square that memorializes Salo´s fire is the oldest monument in Salo. It was unveiled in 1937, on the 50th anniversary of the township of Salo. The plaque reads: "From this place on the 15th of July in 1887, from the outbuilding of the tanner Luhr there started a fire that burned the main part of the township of Salo to ashes." On the 100th anniversary of the fire, a fire hook and chain were placed next to the plaque in order to remind of the firefighting of the old days.

The ignition point of the fire and the investigation into it comprised a real drama. The official explanation given was that a spark came from the chimney of the steamship Nystad. More widely suspected, however, was Luhr´s tenant, the merchant Uno Agates Wendell, who was on the verge of bankruptcy. On the morning of the fire, the debtor had come to settle the books, but Wendell had asked him to return at noon. The fire broke out an hour before the meeting. In addition, Wendell had prepared well for the fire. At the time when it started, the residents and the staff were off the premises. Even the people at that time thought that the investigation was a scandal. It is told that the investigators and the suspects were drinking champagne together in the evening. No evidence was found, and Wendell and Luhr were given fire insurance compensation. The total damage of the fire was estimated at 600,000 marks. The reconstruction that was implemented on the basis of a new town plan after the fire gave birth to a local economic upturn .
Show on map

salon_palon_muistolaatta.jpg

Plaque for the Civil Guard Building of Salo-Uskela, and Memorial Plaque of Scouts and Little Lottas

In 1987, the plaque for the Civil Guard Building of Salo-Uskela was attached to the wall of what is today called the Blue House (Rummunlyöjänkatu 2). The Salon Seudun Reserviupseerit, the country´s second oldest association of reserve officers, acquired on the association´s 60th anniversary a bronze plaque for the wall of the former civil guardhouse. The plaque describes the phases of the house´s history, as well as where the Salo troops were fighting in 1939-1945. The civil guardhouse of Salo-Uskela was designed in the early 1920s by the architect Professor Erik Bryggmann. The construction was the first one in Southwest Finland to be built as a civil guardhouse. The house was built in 1923 by the Civil Guard of Salo and the local Lotta Svärd branch in Salo. The building is now protected.

On the 22nd of November in 2006, a memorial plaque for the Scouts and Little Lottas was unveiled on the wall of the Blue House by the Scouts Heritage Foundation and the Salo area Lotta Heritage Association. On the plaque it says: "In the last wars, by their actions the Scouts and the Little Lottas of the Civil Guard liberated a considerable number of soldiers and Lottas to do more demanding tasks."

Erik Bryggmann was one of the early experimenters in functionalism in our country. In his later productions, he represented the architectural current of the post-war. Bryggmann worked in Turku and designed several buildings for Salo. To mention the best of these, the former movie theater Kiva has since been nationally protected as an important architectural landmark .
Show on map

sinisen_talon_laatat.jpg

Back to top

Moved Cornerstone

On the initiative of the Karelian associations of the Salo area, in 1985 there was unveiled in Olaf Park a Karelian "refugee stone" called Moved Cornerstone. The monument is located by the bridge of Mariankatu. The sculpture carved from Taivassalo red-black granite weighs 9000 kg. The stone was designed by Sakari Rokka of Helsinki. The technical production of the bronze memorial plaque was executed by the sculptor Anja Aho. The text on the side of the memorial plaque tells about the feelings of the Karelians who left their homes during the wars in 1939-44 and moved to the Salo area. The broken corner and furrows in the memorial plaque symbolize the violent transition from one´s centuries-old home and entire existence. The refugee stones are also found in Seinäjoki, Imatra and Rauma .
Show on map

siirtynyt_kulmakivi.jpg

Tammidivisioona Memorial Stone

In the last wars, men from Salo and its environs as well as Western Uusimaa were collected into the 17th division, which was called the Tammidivisioona. The 17th division was at first in the Hanko area and it gained its name from Tammisaari. Those parts of the division that were established in Salo marched to the front line of Hanko on the Perniöntie of that time. On the side of the road where the march passed, in 1976 there was erected a memorial stone in honor of the Tammidivisioona. Along Perniöntie, a row of 130 oak trees were planted, which is today broken at the University of Applied Sciences of Salo. The project was initiated by the homeland counselor Arvo Saura. A committee that included four Lions Clubs from the Salo area, local veteran associations, the Brotherhood of Disabled War Veterans, and associations of reserve officers and non-commissioned officers found a suitable natural stone to be used as a memorial. The stone is from the heath of Kivikuja in Halikko .
Show on map

tammidivisioonan_muistokivi_1976.jpg

Topuli Memorial Stone

During our wars, the Topuli House of Kiikala made a heavy sacrifice on behalf of the fatherland. In the war, the house lost the sons Martti, Vilho, Kauko, and Erkki and the son-in-Mauri Helkiö. The proposal to raise a memorial stone to Topuli was made by the reserve officers club of Salo. The memorial stone was designed by Captain Harald Söderman, and it was manufactured as a donation by the stone-carving business Granit Oy of Salo. Through volunteer work, the reserve officers club of Salo made a foundation for the memorial stone and provided the necessary transportation and practical arrangements, etc. The unveiling speech for the memorial stone on 6/10/1956 was given by the chairman of the club, Sven Sonntag, who also turned the memorial stone over to the ownership and care of the Kiikala parish.

Back to top